Friday, November 26, 2010

Let There Be Light

Today the electricity in our apartment building was turned off from 8am until around 6:15pm. Since the sun doesn't rise until around noon, and then its dark by 3:30, let's just say dressing and getting ready for work this morning was an adventure. I guess its a good thing I'm known for wearing mismatched socks anyways, because once I got out into the semi-light on the sidewalk, I noticed that one sock was blue, the other was hot pink. And don't even get me started on makeup - I wasn't about to risk going out in public looking like Bozo the Clown, so I opted for the fresh faced approach...

The school is in the same building as my flat, so even at work we were surrounded by the darkness. We taught by candlelight (so romantic! haha) until we exhausted our supply of tealights, and then I just resorted to playing old games with my students like "Ghost in the Graveyard" and "Telephone." After work, Colleen and I found a hardware store and bought six big candles in preparation for a dark night in our flat. But, as Murphy's Law continues to prove, once we returned with said candles, the power came back on and there was light.

A very interesting day, all in all, and one that I don't think would ever happen back in Canada. But, as my Russian administrator Vlada said with a nonchalant shrug of her shoulders when I asked when the power would be back on, "Ne znayu. I don't know. This is normal day in Russia."

1 comment:

  1. Such a Starr, always lighting up the atmosphere :)

    ba-boom-ch

    ReplyDelete