Sunday, December 19, 2010

Doin' the salsa

I loooooooooove salsa. I put it on everything, from eggs to baked potatoes to tuna to mixing it in with yogurt or sour cream for a dip. The chunkier and the spicier, the better.

Sadly, there is a serious lack of salsas here in Russia. Russians as a whole just don't seem to like the spice. They love their ketchup though. I have found a Heinz make of salsa here, but it's 135 roubles and based on the way I go through salsa, it just isn't the most economical choice. I also am not too crazy about all the sodium that is in packaged foods.

So I decided to make my own salsa tonight. I went out and bought 5 juicy, ripe tomatoes, some red onion, some orange and yellow peppers, some garlic, and some chili powder. I added in the last remaining tablespoon or so of my Heinz salsa, stirred it all together and got this:


I mixed it in with some smetana (sour cream) and used it as a dip for some veggies. Such a great snack!

1 comment: